Coaching Matters, a round-up of the articles I have found interesting in the past week relating to coaching, sport science, physical preparation and skill acquisition.
A fairly eventful week in sport as the Doping scandal continues unabated, Nike announce an attempt to crack the 2 hour marathon, England Skipper Dylan Hartley was banned for 6 weeks for striking and World Rugby announced a crack down on reckless tackles. Hopefully you have done enough Christmas shopping to be able to sit down and read all about it!
The whole point of this blog is sharing and interaction so if you have written or know of similar content that would be good for future posts then please let me know via Twitter @SiNainby.
Don’t forget to check out the Coaching Matters Live Round Up Tool, all the previous Coaching Matters blogs, my Notes From blogs of various lectures/CPD I have attended and various random thoughts on coaching.
- Sporticus: Poles Apart
- Evidence Based Coaching by Stu McMillan
- Eddie Jones – The Perfect Year
- Intellectuals: Everything you think about Sport is wrong
- Characters of yore are now the moral guardians of a game that’s sicker than ever
- The Coaching Plan for England: Better coaches, better experiences, better activity
- Karius, the Nevilles and the worst of football’s established hierarchies
- Steve Magness: My Top Coaching Books of 2016: Books that make you think!
- The Future of Sports Coaching – a word from the experts
- Dylan Hartley polarises opinion but his ban signals good news for England
- England captain Dylan Hartley is one thuggish act away from career oblivion
- High tackles: World Rugby changes rules over head contact
- The science behind the perfect 2k rowing test
- Athletics Exploratorium – An athletics facility with a twist
- Joint Forces: What do joints really feel? By Andrew Vigotsky
- Sprint acceleration mechanics and performance: the interest of very-heavy sled training by JB Morin & Matt R Cross
- Craig Pickering: An Athlete’s Guide To Surviving Christmas
- Just Fly Performance Podcast: Steve Fudge
- Emails show how Russian officials covered up mass doping
- Science Isn’t Broken: It’s just a hell of a lot harder than we give it credit for
- How the Williams F1 team used biometrics to make Formula One’s fastest pitstop
- Notre Dame: Making a Science of Sport Performance
- Nike’s Audacious Plan: Break the 2-Hour Marathon Barrier in 2017
- Ross Tucker: The sub-2 hour marathon in 2017? Thoughts on concept
- The Research Doesn’t Always Apply: Practical Solutions to Evidence-Based Training Load Monitoring in Elite Team Sports by Darren Burgess
- Getting Practical on Heart Rate Variability & Training
- Craig Pickering: What Doesn’t Kill Us Makes Us Stronger
- The Sports Physio: Liar, liar…why do patients lie, how do you detect it, and what should you do about it?
- Transfer of Learning: Is There a Solution? Part I | Part II
- ‘If they call you a pig in the police it’s not personal. As head, it was very personal’ How a head and ex-detective transformed a school against the odds
- The Power of Simple Life Changes to Prevent Heart Disease
- One Weight-Loss Approach Fits All? No, Not Even Close
- A virus, fished out of a lake, may have saved a man’s life — and advanced science
- Finding North America’s lost medieval city
- The Irrationality Within Us
- Truth is a lost game in Turkey. Don’t let the same thing happen to you
- The sickening business of wellness