Coaching Matters, a round-up of the articles I have found interesting in the past week relating to coaching, sport science, physical preparation and skill acquisition.
Happy Christmas! Despite all the festive joy it was another very controversial week in sport. Sir Dave Brailsford appeared before a Commons Select Committee and may have misled MPs, a review of George North’s concussion found non compliance with guidelines prompting further review by World Rugby, Denny Solomona and Johan Goosen retired but Solomona signed for Sale in a code switch and Goosen has been linked with Gloucester, finally Andrew Coombs had his medical insurance revoked by Newport Gwent Dragons without any notice or option to take up the policy himself. Plenty of other great articles to enjoy too so tuck in with a mince pie and a glass of something tasty.
The whole point of this blog is sharing and interaction so if you have written or know of similar content that would be good for future posts then please let me know via Twitter @SiNainby.
Don’t forget to check out the Coaching Matters Live Round Up Tool, all the previous Coaching Matters blogs, my Notes From blogs of various lectures/CPD I have attended and various random thoughts on coaching.
- Kelvin Giles: Home-Away-Home Part 3 – Major Lessons
- Epistemology: How do you Know that you Know what you Know?
- Irishman Abroad: Paul McGrath
- Steve Magness: Forget The Gadgets and Hacks: Nail The Basics
- Principles of Instruction: Research based strategies that all Teachers should know
- 2016: The year sport refused to stop
- Sean Ingle: The key questions MPs must ask Brailsford on Team Sky and doping
- Brett Geeves reveals the issues facing coaching pathways in Australian elite cricket teams
- Denny Solomona: The legal case that could impact rugby as Bosman did football
- Andrew Coombs angry at Newport Gwent Dragons over insurance issue
- Outcry after Northampton Saints avoid penalty for George North concussion affair
- George North would be told to retire were he an amateur, says Dr Barry O’Driscoll
- World Rugby statement – George North head injury incident review
- Trent Woodhill’s brave new, data-driven world
- Instinctive problem-solving puts England into world elite
- Off the Ball: David Walsh on Team Sky, Brailsford, Froome, Leinders
- Conor Murray: ‘You can usually process death. But I feel Axel should be here’
- How youth players are being left on the scrapheap thanks to exorbitant compensation fees
- The Whitehouse Address: The Risks of Academy Football
- Super Champions, Champions, and Almosts: Important Differences and Commonalities on the Rocky Road by Dave Collins, Áine MacNamara and Neil McCarthy
- Dan Carter: ‘The future will always be bright in New Zealand rugby’
- Your Coach Accreditation Is Not Nearly Enough
- Ken Matheson: Former British Cycling coach says ‘culture of fear’ exists
Skill Acquisition/Dynamic Systems
- Richard Martin: Ready to jump
- Dr Jean Boulton: The Newtonian Paradigm
- Footblogball: Imposing set structures on complex phenomena – Stop making ‘common’ sense
- Just Fly Performance Podcast Episode #20: Henk Kraaijenhof
- Kelvin Giles: Observation – what to expect
- Carol Dweck Explains The ‘False’ Growth Mindset That Worries Her
- Nurturing Genius
- Shane Pill: Physical education as praxis
- Meet the kids who think for themselves
- Sporticus: Top 5s of 2016 – PE, Youth Sport and Education
- Silicon Valley tech workers are using an ancient philosophy designed for Greek slaves as a life hack
- Who’s afraid of Stoicism?
- Management theory is becoming a compendium of dead ideas
- Bad Medicine, Part 2: (Drug) Trials and Tribulations
- The Evolutionary Argument Against Reality
- Students are fighting back against the PC creed
- The right shuts down free speech, too
- ‘Falsification’ ruled 20th-century science. Does it need revision in the 21st?