Welcome to the second edition of Coaching Matters, a round up of coaching articles I have found useful in April 2013. In the month that Manchester United won their 20th Premier League title and the British & Irish Lions announced the squad for the tour to Australia there have been some great quality reads and I have collated them all into one article just for you!
First up a few special mentions. Number one goes to a fascinating 2 part interview with Derek Evely on Stuart McMillan’s blog. Derek was the High Performance Centre Manager for UK Athletics at Loughborough and gives a warts and all inside view of his time spent in coaching with UKA and around the World. I feel his 10 point checklist for young coaches at the end of Part II is of particular use to any coach.
Second special mention goes to the UCoach resource where I found those 2 videos. Run by Tom Crick (click the link and give him a follow on Twitter) it is a great resource for British Athletics and any sporting coach given the breadth of material featured on there with some truly World class coaches interviewed.
Here is the rest which I have attempted to categorise:
- Rugby: Skills from across the codes come in handy
- Sir Dave Brailsford and the story behind his amazing ride from Bangor to Buck House
- Football: Touches per game study 11 vs 11 and 4 vs 4
- Effective Feedback
- Critical Thinker or just an arse?
- Coaching Philosophies of leading Football Managers
- Sport Psychology Video Interviews
- David Flitcroft hits out at lazy coaching
- Gary Anderson: Consistent Synchronicity – The Italian Coffee effect
- Should Players know more than the Coach?
- Anti Coaching Part 1; Part 2 & Part 3
- Why talent needs trauma
- Cricket Australia accused of Overcoaching
- The philosophy of Tim Kerrison, Bradley Wiggins’ Coach
- Stuart Lancaster on Mental Strength and Team Cohesion
- Ray Wilkins’ history lesson on injuries is eclipsed in the science labs
- 92 video lectures from Aspetar Qatar Sport Medicine Conference
- Why SAQ training is a waste of time
- Inside Camp Farah – The making of marathon man Mo
- Effect of de-training on NFL tendon injuries
- Video Interview with Dr Jeremy Sheppard, Science Manager for Surfing Australia
- Static vs Dynamic Stretching in Football
- The Basketball player who hired his own analytics expert
- England Rugby Sevens Team Sport Science approach
- Age of Acquisition in Sport: Starting early matters
- How much difference do external coaching cues make?
- Four Stages of Skill Acquisition
- Differential Learning
- Mistakes in Motor Learning
- The qualities which separate elite talents from the very good
- Coaching Ireland: Fundamental Skills and Physical Literacy
- Sport New Zealand: Developing Fundamental Movement Skills
- Fundamental Movement Skills: A manual for classroom teachers